Frequently Asked Questions

  • How to Get in Contact with Us
  • What to do if you are in an Accident
  • Taking Action

How to Get in Contact with Us

Our law firm handles a wide variety of cases. Cases such as: wrongful death, car accidents, falls, medical malpractice, and construction accidents.

No! The first consultation with Zalman, Schnurman & Miner is always free.

There are multiple ways to get in touch with our law firm. You can file a claim on our website here. We can also be reached at (phone number) or you can email us at

the location and date of the incident are the two most important pieces of information. The more details you have the better, but do not wait to call until you have all the requisite information.

The standard fee for our firm, as well as most personal injury law firms, is 1/3 of the recovery total. If there no recovery, meaning that the lawsuit is fruitless, it will come at no cost to the client. Our firm collects no money if the lawsuit has no recovery.

What to do if You Are Injured in an Accident

The first thing to do, is to go to the doctor if you are injured. Then call us, as we can help you take the next step including contacting insurance companies, taking pictures, and doing an investigation.

There are no exact thresholds for the vast majority of claims. Injuries arising from a car accident must meet the thresholds set forth under New York’s no fault laws.

The best way to determine if you have a viable claim is to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer.

As soon as possible. The earlier we can get started on investigating your claim, the better the outcome will be. This is for many reasons; for one, your recollection of the events and the memory of witnesses will be better. As well, there is a good chance the issue that injured you, such as a crack in the sidewalk, will not have been repaired.

Every suit is a different. It is possible that your case can be settled within months, or it could take years to fully complete.

How to Take Action

It varies based on the type of case you have. For example, you only have 90 days to file a notice of claim against the City of New York. (More information on filing notice of claims against the City of New York can be found here). More information on how long you have to file a notice of claim for other kinds of accidents can be found in our blog section and its corresponding articles.

A notice of claim is a document that is required to be filed with many governments (e.g. Cities, Towns, Villages, etc.), Public Authorities, Schools, and other government and quasi-government agencies. The notice of claim helps them investigate the claim. Usually, where a Notice of Claim is required, you must file the Notice of Claim prior to commencing your lawsuit. Additionally, the time to file the Notice of Claim is much shorter, than the Statute of Limitations. The failure to timely file a Notice of Claim, where required, will prevent you from properly commencing a lawsuit, though you may be able to make a motion to file a late Notice of Claim. Commonly, but not always, a Notice of Claim must be filed in New York within 90 days of the incident.

Wrongful death: 2 years

Injury due to construction: 3 years

Car accident: 3 years

Trip/Slip/fall: 3 years

Medical malpractice: 2.5 years

Legal Malpractice: 3 years

Weather related injury, i.e. slip on snow: 3 years

A lawsuit must be filed with the court prior to the statute of limitations expiring. The defendant must then be timely served with the necessary paperwork and proof of service filed with the court.

Get a Free Consultation
Available 24/7

Call us at: 1-800-Lawline/ 212-668-0059

We can be reached 24/7 and are in the office Monday through


Our Offices!

Message Us Now
Available 24/7

We are willing to accommodate needs, and can meet with clients on weekends if needed.

Copyright © 2018 Zalman Schnurman & Miner P.C. All Rights Reserved